Brooklyn Homeless Shelter Residents Get Food Poisoning From Shelter Food

Auburn Shelter Chicken Salad

Last week, about a half-dozen residents of the Auburn Family Shelter in Brooklyn became violently ill after eating chicken salad served at the facility. Residents who consumed the poisonous meal immediately became ill and began vomiting.

The salad that caused the food poisoning was reportedly expired. According to CBS News, “The first label said the chicken salad would expire Oct. 31, but there was a second label underneath saying the chicken expired almost two months ago on Sept. 5.”

CBS News also states that the food vendor that was “responsible for the rancid chicken had been cited by the FDA for unsanitary conditions”; still the food vendor “holds a $35 million contract” with New York City to service the shelters.

A shelter resident who witnessed the residents falling ill told The Patch that the shelter’s workers and security guards stood around laughing at the horrific medical emergency scene.

It should be noted that yesterday, a former worker at this same homeless shelter was convicted of sexually assaulting residents. (CLICK HERECLICK HERECLICK HERE for the article.)

SIDEBAR: I wonder if, or when, the food service provider will lose their contract with the city. $35 million of NYC taxpayers’ money…SMH! I also wonder if the security guards and shelter workers who thought people being food poisoned was hilarious still have their jobs today.

Yet another prime example why homeless New Yorkers fear the NYC shelter system.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblr

Former DHS Employee Convicted Of Sexually Assaulting Shelter Residents

Auburn Family Shelter

On Thursday, a former Department of Homeless Services (DHS) community coordinator and housing specialist was convicted of sexually abusing and forcibly touching three women who were residents at the homeless shelter where he was assigned to work.

According to Bklyner, the serial sexual abuser, who worked at the Auburn Family Shelter in Brooklyn, was convicted of three counts of forcible touching and one count of third-degree sexual abuse.

He has yet to be sentenced. He is reportedly facing up to two years in prison. His sentencing is set for December 16, 2019.

This criminal situation is a prime example of why so many homeless people refuse to stay in NYC shelters.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblr